EDITOR'S NOTE: While this list is extensive, it is not complete and will continue to be updated. Know of any legislation that's not on this list? Let us know here.
- The Colorado House passed a bill that make changes to the state's sex education curriculum. Instead of just teaching an abstinence-based programs, sex ed classes would have to also focus on other contraceptive methods and gay and lesbian issues. Students would also be allowed to opt out of the course, according to the bill.
- A bill to require hunter education for most 7th-graders in the state died in committee.
- Democrats in Colorado, which began its legislative session Jan. 4, are moving to institute full-day kindergarten, with Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat, advocating for these programs to be free to all kids across the state starting this fall.
- Former teacher and state Rep. Barbara McLachlan, D-Durango, co-sponsored a bill that would create more professional development opportunities for school principals. Other bills provide incentives to teachers, including a tax credit for early-childhood educators, financial waivers for rural teachers and bonuses for those deemed to be highly effective.
- Other proposals include more education funding, substance abuse treatment in schools and assigning a social worker to every grade in a high-poverty district’s elementary schools.