EverDriven, the leader in alternative student transportation for school districts nationwide, announced today a series of advancements in response to the surge in demand for alternative student transportation. Continuing its heritage of innovation in student mobility, EverDriven has introduced industry-leading initiatives that make alternative transportation safer, more effective, and more efficient to manage for districts across the U.S.
“In the 17 years we have been providing mobility solutions to schools and school districts, we’ve never witnessed such an incredible surge in demand for our services,” said Mitch Bowling, CEO of EverDriven, formerly ALC Schools. “School districts are facing a unique combination of systemic, economic, and societal changes that are driving the need for new approaches to resources, particularly in related services like student transportation.” With over 600 active district contracts across the country, EverDriven has identified five systemic shifts that are impacting the student transportation industry:
- Driver Shortage: Bus drivers are in short supply across the U.S., with 87% of school transportation professionals saying driver shortages are a major problem
- School Choice: Parents and students are increasingly choosing schools beyond their neighborhoods, increasing the need for more transportation options
- Students Experiencing Homelessness and Those in Foster Care: The number of students supported by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act continues to rise, resulting in both greater need for transportation options and more funding for these services
- Special Needs Students: The number of special needs students with unique transportation needs continues to grow
- States Codification: More states are adopting alternative-transportation requirements for schools, opening new transportation opportunities and challenges for districts
In the past two years, EverDriven has seen unprecedented growth in both district and student demand, with over 100% growth in number of districts served and over 60% growth in students served. Anticipating these trends to continue and accelerate, EverDriven has invested heavily in hiring and in its Technology Service Enablement Suite. These resources ensure that students and families get the services they need and deserve, and school districts and drivers get onboarded and, on the road, faster. Preparations for the upcoming school year include:
- Accelerated Driver Recruitment
- EverDriven has added and rigorously vetted more than 1700 new drivers during the last school year and throughout summer months to ensure alternative student transportation needs are met. EverDriven has also enhanced its proprietary Provider Portal to enable service providers to submit documentation quickly and easily for compliance and eligibility.
- Streamlined District Onboarding & Management
- EverDriven has improved its District Portal to make the onboarding and management of transportation quicker and more efficient for districts. This includes a streamlined trip tracker, upgraded transportation request form, and smart routing technology.
- Enhanced Support Staffing
- EverDriven has increased their dedicated dispatch support to provide enhanced contact and personal services that deliver smoother, more efficient experiences for students, schools, and parents.
- Improved Parent/Guardian Communications
- EverDriven has incorporated app notifications regarding trip and/or driver changes to its real-time trip tracking app for parents and guardians. Parents/Guardians will also receive text messages to make sure they never miss important information about their child’s transportation.
EverDriven's commitment to enhance their services by continually improving their proprietary technology, solidifies their position as a leader in the alternative student transportation industry. Its record of innovation ranges from required vehicle configurations to driver vetting, to a parent/guardian VIP app that tracks students during transport.
“In Maryland, we have seen a surging demand for alternative transportation needs among our students, particularly those that are most vulnerable,” said Leon Langley, Maryland Pupil Transportation Industry Leader, Former MD State Transportation Director and NAPT President. “With recent changes in the state’s approach to alternative transportation, we are pleased to forge relationships with experienced, trusted and compassionate organizations like EverDriven to help us meet the intensifying needs of the families and students we serve.”
EverDriven is the leader in alternative student transportation for school districts nationwide. With over 600 active school district contracts and over 21,000 students last year alone, EverDriven has established itself as the nationwide safety and technology service enablement leader in alternative student transportation. Leveraging its proprietary Smart Routing Technology and custom-tailored services, the company has been a driving force in alleviating driver shortages, accommodating varying bell times, and serving unique student needs related to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, special needs, ESSA, hard-to-serve trips, and out-of-district placements. For more information, visit everdriven.com.